Use the above assignment template to complete the assignment. It's a rich text format file that should work in any word processing program. Clicking on the link will download it to your computer. Find it in your Downloads folder. If you have any problems, please e-mail me and I'll send you a copy. You can enter your assignment answers right on this document and then send it to me by e-mail attachment.
Assignment for TWU September-October section due one week after first class. Assignment for regular online students can be spaced over the 4 month timeframe. Send by e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consult the rubrics to the right to determine what you should be doing to achieve excellence in the assignment.
Reading: Research Strategies, Chapters 8 to 10, and Appendix B
View the presentations for this section at https://libguides.twu.ca/UNIV110Online/presentations.
PART ONE: Evaluation
Have a look at this article:
Answer the following questions:
1. What signs do you see that this is a scholarly article?
2. Is there any way to determine if the article has been peer reviewed? Why or why not?
3. Would the fact that this article does not appear to have been published in a journal limit its usefulness as a contribution to the subject it covers?
4. If you were writing an article on this topic, would you include this article in your bibliography? Why or why not?
1. Have another look at your research question, revise it if necessary, and state your final research question.
2. State your final outline in point form, preferably with both main headings and subheadings.
3. Present a bibliography, based on your research question and outline, of 14 items, at least 6 of them being scholarly articles. You may have more than 6 articles if you wish, but you must have a minimum of 6. You can use resources that you have identified from previous assignments.
4. Conclude with a brief paragraph explaining why you believe the bibliography is of high quality and relevant to your research question.
How can the healthcare system in Canada best overcome systemic racism?
I. Introduction – The nature of systemic racism
II. The problem of systemic racism in Canadian healthcare
III. Possible solutions
Conclusion – Best approach.
Agnew, V. (2009). Racialized migrant women in Canada: Essays on health, violence and equity. University of Toronto Press.
Arya, A. N., & Piggott, T. (2018). Under-served: health determinants of Indigenous, inner-city, and migrant populations in Canada. Canadian Scholars.
Boyer, Y. (2017). Healing racism in Canadian health care. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 189(46), E1408-E1409.
Dryden, O., & Nnorom, O. (2021). Time to dismantle systemic anti-Black racism in medicine in Canada. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 193(2), E55-E57.
El-Mowafi, I. M., Yalahow, A., Idriss-Wheeler, D., & Yaya, S. (2021). The politest form of racism: sexual and reproductive health and rights paradigm in Canada. Reproductive Health, 18(1), 1–5. https://doi-org.twu.idm.oclc.org/10.1186/s12978-021-01117-8
Fraser, S. L., Gaulin, D., & Fraser, W. D. (2021). Dissecting systemic racism: policies, practices and epistemologies creating racialized systems of care for Indigenous peoples. International Journal for Equity in Health, 20(1), 1–5. https://doi-org.twu.idm.oclc.org/10.1186/s12939-021-01500-8
Gajaria, A., Guzder, J., & Rasasingham, R. (2021). What’s race got to do with it? A proposed framework to address racism’s impacts on child and adolescent mental health in Canada. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 30(2), 131–137.
Matthews, R. (2019). Health ethics and indigenous ethnocide. Bioethics, 33(7), 827–834.
Noor El-Dassouki, Dorothy Wong, Deanna M. Toews, Jagbir Gill, Beth Edwards, Ani Orchanian-Cheff, Paula Neves, Lydia-Joi Marshall, & Istvan Mucsi. (2021). Barriers to accessing kidney transplantation among populations marginalized by race and ethnicity in Canada: A scoping review part 2—East Asian, South Asian, and African, Caribbean, and Black Canadians. Canadian Journal of Kidney Health and Disease, 8. https://doi-org.twu.idm.oclc.org/10.1177/2054358121996834
Neufeld, H. T., & Cidro, J. (2017). . Demeter Press.
Phillips-Beck, W., Eni, R., Lavoie, J. G., Avery Kinew, K., Kyoon Achan, G., & Katz, A. (2020). Confronting racism within the Canadian healthcare system: Systemic exclusion of First Nations from quality and consistent care. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(22), 8343.
Sanzone, L., Doucette, E., Fansia, N., Fu, C., Kim, E., Lo, K. P., Malhi, P., & Sawatsky, T. (2019). Indigenous approaches to healing in critical care settings: Addressing the Truth and Reconciliation Report’s calls to action. Canadian Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 30(3), 14–21.
Sexton, S. M., Richardson, C. R., Schrager, S. B., Bowman, M. A., Hickner, J., Morley, C. P., ... & Weiss, B. D. (2021). Systemic racism and health disparities: Statement from editors of family medicine journals. Canadian Family Physician, 67(1), 13-14.
(2020). . McGill-Queen’s University Press.
The bibliography represents high quality, scholarly resources that are relevant to the elements in my research question – systemic racism, healthcare, and Canada. The citations show a good mix of statements of the problem and proposed solutions. Most resources are recent and thus reflect current conditions.
A well done assignment will include the following features:
1. Good insight into the worth of the website to be evaluated.
2. Final research question is clear, concise, and calls for analysis (information as tool rather than information as goal).
3. Final outline is a logical progression that covers the subject matter demanded by the question, nothing less and nothing more.
4. The final bibliography has the required number of citations, represents high quality resources, and appears relevant to address the research question directly.
Trinity Western University (Langley) is located on the traditional, ancestral, unceded territory of the Stó:lō people. We are grateful for the opportunity to live, work, and learn on this land.